Code Enforcement

The City of Spokane Valley Community and Public Works Department enforces codes and ordinances which govern the construction, land use, environmental protection, housing and building maintenance, vacant building standards, vegetation overgrowth, and noise from construction and equipment. City codes and ordinances are intended to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the Spokane Valley.

Types of Violations Typically Reported to City Code Enforcement

  • Outdoor junk/trash storage in residential zones
  • Accessory structures in required yards in residential zones
  • Parking of vehicles in required yards in single-family zones, or an excessive number of vehicles appearing to be inoperable or unregistered
  • Violation of standards for keeping animals in single-family zones
  • Violation of standards for home occupations
  • Violation of minimum fire, safety, and security standards for rental housing
  • Violation of construction conditions established for a project
    • Example: exceeding allowed hours of operation or producing excessive noise
  • Composting
  • Nuisances
  • Construction/destruction without first obtaining permits
  • Dangerous buildings

When appropriate, it is our goal to gain voluntary compliance in correcting a confirmed code violation. A written voluntary code compliance agreement may be used to detail the actions necessary to correct the violation.   In the event a voluntary compliance agreement is not appropriate or in the event such procedures fail, the City of Spokane Valley may initiate additional activities intended to abate the violation in accordance with Section 7.05.060 of the Spokane Valley Municipal Code.



Citizen Action Request (CAR) Referral Guide

Type of ActionContactPhone Number
City Code ViolationsCity Code Enforcement720-5000
Air PollutionSpokane Clean Air Agency477-4727
Domestic Animals (small)Spokane County Animal Control477-2532
Fire HazardSpokane Valley Fire Department928-1700
Garbage (solid waste)City Code Enforcement720-5000
Landlord/Tenant DisputesNorthwest Justice Project888-201-1014
OrNorthwest Fair Housing325-2665
Residential Landlord - Tenant ActRevised Code of WashingtonView the Code 
SepticSpokane Regional Health District324-1560
SewerSpokane County Environmental Services 477-3604
Criminal ComplaintsCrime Reporting456-2233
Dead Animals along the RoadCity of Spokane Valley720-5000
Dangerous BuildingsCity Code Enforcement720-5000
Traffic ComplaintsCity Public Works 720-5000